04 Apr Use Video Marketing to Promote your Small Business
Advertising options have changed over the years and, today, advertising strategies need to evolve according to developments in the digital space.
According to research, explainer videos increase conversation rates by 20% and regular videos could increase conversions by up to 80%.
Explainer videos are short videos that tell the story of a small business or organisation. The average attention span of an adult today is 8 seconds which means you have very little time to make an impression.
According to a survey by Nielsen, 64% of marketers say that video will dominate their digital marketing strategies in the near future.
YouTube alone receives more than 1 billion unique visitors each month, with a weekly audience in the UK of more than 20 million people viewing at least one online video.
Benefits of using Video Marketing
- Expands your reach – Video marketing connects you to free traffic sources like YouTube, Vimeo, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. Users are more willing to share video content as opposed to text-based content.
- More memorable than written content – Explainer videos offer visual and verbal cues that appeal to different types of people. Research shows that people retain 50% more information through the use of visual and verbal cues as opposed to reading content.
- Add personality to your marketing message – You can use video marketing to put up all kinds of content. Use it to add a personal touch to your message and bring testimonials to life.
- Boost your SEO ranking – Videos appear in 70% of the top 100 search results on Google which is a huge SEO advantage in promoting your business. Web content that has video has been known to attract thrice as many inbound links as text posts.
- Create a personal connection – Users are constantly bombarded with information online, but videos help to grab attention. They require less effort than having to read text.
Get the most from your Video Marketing Strategy
Making a video no longer has to be an expensive process. While professionals can help you create sophisticated and polished videos, there are many online services and free softwares that you can use. From Microsoft’s video editing software, Windows Movie Maker, to Magisto that lets you combine photos and videos to create and share clips online, there are several options you can consider.
- Video Length
A video needs to be just long enough to engage the user and deliver your message. The video length would vary depending on the type and purpose of the video. You have 10 seconds to grab the viewers’ attention, because research has shown that 20% of users will click away from a video in 10 seconds or less.
- Quality content
Create a good content and video marketing strategy to create a high-quality video. While product explanations are important, make sure that you are also telling a compelling story.
Create catchy titles that will also be memorable. This maximises your chances of user engagement. You can add stills of your product, services, employees, location etc. to your video to keep it interesting. A personal message in a video goes a long way towards creating impact.
Include a transcription of your video directly into the HTML of the pages that the video is hosted on. Host your videos on your own domain to ensure maximum SEO returns. You can also make it easy for users to share and embed your video onto their sites to increase your exposure.
Use keywords in your transcriptions and titles to maximise your chances of generating traffic to your website.
- Call to action
Have a clear message about what you want the viewer to do once they have watched the video. You could also add a coupon or a special offer. The main goal of a CTA is usually to have a visitor give you their contact information or convert to a marketing lead by engaging with more of your content.
- Every video platform is unique
It is not a good idea to repurpose the same content across several video sharing platforms. Each video sharing platform works uniquely so what works for YouTube might not work for Facebook and Twitter and Instagram etc.
You will need to come up with a multi-platform strategy that will help you target the right audience.
- Measure and analyse results
Measuring the performance of your videos is the only way to know what works and what doesn’t. Collect data on your videos from all your video sharing platforms. Check for durations of views, repeat views and drop-off rates to know whether your videos are having their desired effect.
With technological advances, brands and organisations are looking for the best ways to engage with customers. To have a greater engagement impact, you could also consider creating interactive videos that allow users to change the narrative and impact the outcome. Interactive videos have been known to engage viewers longer than standard videos. A well-done interactive video will help you stand out and create a memorable use experience.
While written content is still a very valuable resource, more and more small businesses are realising the benefits of using video marketing. If you’re looking for a new way to stand out in today’s very competitive online environment, then video marketing might just be what you need.