06 Mar How technology can facilitate working from home
Imagining a world without e-mail, internet and smartphones makes us realise just how much technology has altered and permeated into different aspects of our lives. Technology has made it possible to carry out work in increasingly flexible ways. For example, working remotely from the comfort of your home is now an option that can be easily implemented.
The number of people working from home has risen over the years. According to the Office for National Statistics, in 2015 around 13.7 percent of the UK work force comprised of home workers.
Listed below are some of the ways in which technology has positively redefined the boundaries of the work sphere.
1. Staying connected is easier
The options of video conferencing, telephone conference calls and instant messaging have simplified the process of working from home. People can access their company’s internal server or database remotely with the help of an intranet or extranet. Wireless technology has further boosted our connectivity, making it possible to easily schedule meetings and stay connected at all times. Tools, such as those listed below, are removing the spatial drawbacks usually associated with work from home opportunities:
- Communication tools like Skype have made it possible to engage through voice and video calling
- Apps such as Appear.in allow group video conversations to take place
- Google Keep and Mural are tools that help with online brainstorming
- MindMeister has made it easier for users to develop and share ideas visually
2. You can share files instantly
It is now possible to keep in touch and share files easily across distances. There is no longer the need to physically be in the same place to work on a task together.
- Google Drive and DropBox are collaborative tools that allow people to work on shared documents and folders
- Project management tools like Yammer provide a single platform where messages, files and updates can be shared even when you are located miles away from colleagues
3. Cloud Computing has centralised computer services
Business applications can now be accessed on the cloud through mobile devices. This has made it possible to carry out work easily and effectively from home and yet still maintain the same levels of productivity.
4. Mobile applications have improved business efficiency
Mobile applications on Smart phones offer effective ways to stay updated even while you choose to work from home. You can stay connected easily and make use of multiple means like call forwarding and voice mail to ensure you do not miss an important call or an update.
Technology has provided us with an alternative way of working. The option of virtual team work means people no longer need to be in the same place at the same time to work together.